The solution designed for the Vialitoral Management System reflects an architecture divided into two parts – Front-Office (Control Center) and Back-Office (Administrative Management) – interconnected and modular.
The FrontOffice encapsulates the operational part of the system including:
- Personnel operations relating to operators of central traffic control;
- Personnel operations concerning official movement (Patrolling of the road network);
- Works on the road network (frontline of Maintenance) and
- Occurrences and registrations (Control Center)
The BackOffice encapsulates the administrative part of the system including:
- Definition of the road network;
- Base data definition;
- Administrative processes;
- Human resource management and external parties (suppliers and employees)
- Operational reports daily, weekly and monthly;
- other reports
The application is based on Web technology to support all entries made in the Control Center, and the administrative management of some processes coordinated by the Administrative Agents, in particular those originating in daily registered occurrences and maintenance processes.
In terms of processes supported by the system, the following is considered:
Daily Traffic and Circulation Control
- Registration process of occurence instances whose execution line will follow the initial introduction of data, validating information introduced by one or more responsible entities, and repair; .
- Other circulation processes that respond to occurrences of this type;
- Different event types exist per each occurence type. The sequence of events describes the history of the occurrence.
Infrastructure and ITS
- Damage process , whose execution line follows the initial introduction of data, validating information introduced by one or more responsible entities, and the generation of service sheets reparations for suppliers;
- Process anomalies or deficiencies in equipment on the road .
Management Preventive Maintenance
- Scheduled Maintenaince activities , whose line of execution is initiated by the maintainers, with the planning of the works , and completed by the circulation teams through validation and execution control;
- Routine maintenance activities, in which the thread is also initiated by the Maintenance responsibles, and whose task validation and execution control are created recursively with a certain periodicity, for circulation teams.
Regarding Frontoffice application , attention is focused on interfaces for inputting data, which is very easy to use, having the user to register as little information as possible to achieve their goals . The following functionalities are provided:
- Opening / closing shift of operators of the control center;
- Event log: An event may be classified into a predetermined type of event and in this case assigned a sequence number. Defined interfaces are adapted to each type of occurrence. Several registers of various events can be made for a given occurrence instance, while it is active. The occurrence will find available for adding more information to the user to mark as completed , including high-resolution photographs;
- Control of patrol teams, including : the beginning and end of shift of patrol vehicles (VA) , register of passage at checkpoints , including automatic notices of arrears of the passages referred to, and record changes in relation to the planned route or schedule;
- Listings preventive maintenance services provided to the current date , and validation of the performance of these services;
- Modification of user data;
- Print reports of shift and incident reports
Regarding the BackOffice system, the following functionalities are provided:
1. Interaction with current active ocurrences, in particular:
- Consultation of occurrences data;
- Edition of occurrences in progress;
- Data validation and management of the state of occurrences;
2. Query shifts:
- Automatic generation of shift reports;
- Summary data of a shift, including patrol teams , dates / times of beginning and end , control center operators;
- Events / Ocurrences recorded;
3. Generation of reports and data exportion to Excel or HTML. The following reports are available:
- Forecast weekly maintenance , according to the model provided by Via Litoral: Print a pre-defined format , and publishing the report in HTML format , for integration with the company’s corporate website;
- Reports of turn. Printing and export to excel;
- Incident reports. Printing and export to excel;
- Balance of occurrences. Print a pre-defined format, and publishing the report in HTML format;
- Balance weekly occurrences per section;
- Report blackspots on roads;
- Dynamic reports. Print and exportresultsto Excel and HTML
4. System configuration and access
- User profile management system;
- Management of user permissions;
- Management types of equipment;
- Road network structure;
- Suppliers management;
- Definition of types of occurrences and events
The operation of the whole system is based on automatic creation of events (named as registers) and work towards accordance with the recorded occurrences: the information flow is achieved through the implementation in the database customized replication mechanism via dedicated triggers.
This automation ensures consistency and operability of the control center and interoperability between sub-systems and backoffice frontoffice.
The algorithm presented next shows superficially the complexity of the process of recording an occurrence: Speed and efficiency are key aspects in the whole process: Therefore the occurrence data is first saved on XML for subsequent recording on a background secondary process. This process is invisible to the user:
The algorithm presented next shows superficially the complexity of the process of recording an event due to its relation with an occurrence: Speed and efficiency are key aspects in the whole process. This process is invisible to the user:
The information contained in this article is made available for reading with authorization of Expedita Ltd
The application is mounted on the generic concepts and the occurrence-event model. The libraries that implement the lower layers of the application allow its re-use in other solutions than managing highways (e.g. Civil Protection, Crisis Center, etc)