The overall objective is to implement a set of information services related to urban mobility, in particular, the use of SMS messages for interaction with citizens, particularly regarding the diffusion of information related to mobility in the city of Funchal.
The final solution is based on a modular architecture and supported by the generic component for sending messages – Message Monitoring System (MMS) and which will now be target of evolution.
The definition of services to be provided is defined at the back office through the services module for subsequent subscription by potential users at the frontoffice through the subscriber management module.
The publication of information of events, news, etc. in various data repositories originates periodic importation both by explicit request or through the management data sources module.
The definition of service automates the configuration and characterization of internal events (single event) and messages (one message per type / category of service and communication channel) in sub-MMS system which is responsible for ensuring the delivery of information to the recipient subscriber.
Modules: Detailed Description
Data Source Management Module
Importing events is done periodically by the system through the Windows Data Source Messaging service Feeder ( MessagingFeederWS ) : Registration of entities and associated distributed data sources ( one or more) provides information on ( 1 ) access to these same data sources via dedicated connectors to implement , and ( 2 ) the time of import.
An item event / news should be well categorized and include information regarding :
- type / category of service
- Text event / news
- date of the event or news
- coverage geographical area, when applicable ( indicated by the codes defined for counties, districts , etc. – INE’99 or through pairs of GPS coordinates )
Parallel to the import periodic service it is also make available the RepositoriesWS web service for sending explicit events / news for the SGM.
The imported information is converted to an an intermediate internal XML format and then deposited in the database as well as the recording of communication between the data sources and the SGM system.
Services Management Module
The definition of services is associated with an entity and must include information regarding:
- type and category of the service
- communication channels available (email , SMS , etc. )
- base price (no fee) and the final price for the user ( already includes fees related to the communication channel )
- codes of activation / deactivation of service
- coverage geographic areas, where applicable ( indicated by the codes defined for counties, districts , etc. – INE’99 – or through pairs of GPS coordinates )
The type and service category makes direct correspondence with the information included in the events / news imported .
The definition of a service results in the automatic configuration of MMS , including :
- automatic configuration of a new MMS message , according to the type of service and communication channels available;
- If not indicated in the definition, a default message template is assigned according to the communication channel.
This way a relationship will exist:
- A single event defined in the initial configuration of the MMS system;
- A message to that event by type of service and communication channel
Subscriber Management Module (FrontOffice)
The subscription of a service set requires the indication of information concerning:
- chosen communication channel (a subscription is associated with only one channel of communication)
- geographical area of coverage, when applicable (a subscription is associated with only one geographic area)
- Time schedule for receiving events / news, including:
1. which day (s) of the week;
2. periodicity for receiving events / news (range of hours / days);
3. consumption period of the event / news on (time interval / range on days relative to 1 and 2);
4. expiration period for sending, meaning what events / news should be included in the next message on the last message that has been sent.
Within the context of the SGM, the MMS will:
- Perform periodic research to detect new events / news for the multiple subscribers according to the options chosen;
- Generate the actual messages;
- Send messages generated in (2) according to the communication channel;
- Account values spent for each message sent in (4) for each of the subscribers identified as receivers of each generated message: this is achieved by running at the object level of a specific plug-inprocess attached to the subscriber module
The interface is based on the following navigation options:
A new subscription follows a simple algorithm:
- list all available services
- after selection,
- add the subscription to the current user
- forward the user to the Subscription Details where he can edit the details
Support tools for control of messages sent are themselves a complement to the Support Tools for MMS component used in the SGM application.
Support tools installed within the SGM site allow to monitorize via specific URL(s):
- All messages sent successfully;
- All messages eligible for delivery, allowing to know:
- Which subscribers will receive messages;
- Which events that each subscriber will receive in the next message;
- What is preventing each event to be sent within the next message.
The information contained in this article is made available for reading with authorization of Expedita Ltd